Monday, February 13, 2012

The Unique Verse of the Universe: Time Lapse of the Cosmos Dancing Around Us



"'Beauty is truth, truth is beauty' wrote Keats. But nothing quite beats
that feeling when you get out of your seats
and explore the universe, its people, and the songs in the streets"
- (R Marrufo, freewriting exploration, 2/13/2012)

I admit that several of my main influences when I "create" fall under the subject broadly described as "The Universe." I'm talking about stars, planets, cosmic debris, science, astronomy, the music of the spheres, the poetry of the cosmos, etc.

As technology continues to become more advanced, we are able to slowly and gradually open just a bit more of what Blake called "the doors of perception."

Of my favorite free-time activities, one of the most profound and exhilarating (to me) is spending time in nature - whether it be camping, fishing, or hiking. Aside from just being able to "unwind" and ideally spend time away from the pressures of society, these activities allow me to observe and truly study nature in its many manifestations. I can become deeply contemplative,  meditative, and most interestingly, wildly creative. I feel a fire within me to share my feelings of exhilaration as I experience the Sublime. (Of course, I'm speaking in a Burkean sense, rather than referring to the popular band form Long Beach, CA).

Thanks to time-lapse video technology, I can view and experience in a unique way the movement of the cosmos as observed from earth. Photographer, Randy Halverson, has created a brillant and spectacular montage of footage he has collected over the past year. Halverson's work has even attracted the attention of Bear McCreary, who has written the scores for television series such as The Walking Dead, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, and others.  McCreary has ended up contributing an original score for this video, "just for fun."

Please take the time to view this beautiful footage:


Temporal Distortion from Randy Halverson on Vimeo.

You can view an extended HD cut of the video on the project's website: Dakotalapse

No comments: